Monday 2 May 2011

Fiona's Birth Story




I have 4 children. This is my birth story for my 3rd child, Fiona. She is 4 years old.

I call her our miracle baby as she was born after me being given a 10% chance of falling pregnant. After the first 2 children were born, I was sterilised. I had the sterilisation reversed when I was 40 years old.

A year before Fiona was born I had a miscarriage; it was a very difficult time. Myself and my partner were struggling to cope. With that 10% we thought we had lost our only chance and assumed we were about to lose another one.
So, we looked into hiring an Independent Midwife to help us through it, and we really wanted a homebirth. So, Eleanor May-Johnson entered our lives. This is her website http://www.hampshirehomebirths.co.uk
She helped us to come to terms with the miscarriage and as time passed we accepted that this baby could actually be born. Eleanor was fantastic and instantly became a very dear friend. I am feeling very emotional as I write this, it's hard to believe that 4 years have gone by.

Because my first 2 babies were born early I advised that this one could be different. But, I always had a feeling she would be early. When the head engaged at about 32 weeks I knew. And I was starting to feel very uncomfortable from about that time.

If I had gone with the NHS I would not have been allowed a homebirth before 37 weeks. Eleanor said she would attempt a homebirth from 36 weeks, depending on how we were coping. That comforted me as my first baby was 4 weeks early and my second was 10 days early.

Labour started on the Sunday afternoon. I had been having Braxton Hicks on and off and these were no different. But I decided to go and have a lie down at 2pm and had a contraction. I fell asleep and was woken up by another one. I happened to notice that the clock next to me said 2.20pm. I dozed again to be woken up at 2.40pm. Uh oh, 3 at 20 minutes apart! I stayed awake and just watched the clock. I had another at exactly 3pm. I rang Eleanor who calmed me down, assured me that I had 4 weeks to go and to carry on as normal. "Text me if you need me" she said.

So, I carried on as planned and we visited family. We were actually out walking the dog at about 11pm and the pains were becoming more intense and were around every 10 minutes. I didn't tell Eleanor because I was worried about waking her up and assumed they were nothing. Part of me had also decided that I couldn't text her until after midnight, because then I would be officially 36 weeks so she wouldn't send me to hospital :-)

We were driving back home and it was 10 past midnight. I text Eleanor and she said to go home and try and get some sleep but call her if I needed her. I showered and tidied up and went to bed at 2am. I slept until the morning but was aware that I was contracting in my sleep. My partner wanted to go to work but I was nervous so I asked him to stay home. I rang Eleanor in the morning and she came to see me, around 10am. She asked me lots of questions and said that I could be in labour. She didn't want to give me an internal examination to see if I was dilating in case that stimulated labour, if I wasn't in actual labour, especially as I still had 4 weeks to go.

She left. As she left she said "have you got everything you need for the baby?" clothes, blankets, etc. Plastic sheeting for the birth. I said "NO!!" She said "I suggest you go shopping, then"

So, we headed up to Sainsbury's, 5 minutes from home. I remember just throwing stuff randomly into the trolley and leaning over it in agony on a regular basis. We heading for the till and I said "stop, let me just have this quick contraction first" Ouchy that hurt. We quickly paid and left. We wanted to head for B&Q but went home instead. I needed the loo. My partner wanted to go back out but I said "I am not going anywhere" as a wave of deep contractions made my eyes water. I rang Eleanor and talked her through what happening. She said "Would you like me to come now?" I hesitated as I didn't want to drag her out for no reason. During that mini hesitation my baby told me to say "yes." She said "we're on our way."

Eleanor arrived 20 minutes later with Sharon Eccles, the back up midwife. She is lovely, too, and we met during my pregnancy. It was about 1.30pm.

By the time they arrived I was having contractions every 2 or 3 minutes and they were getting quite intense. I can't remember if I actually made them a cup of tea or if I just tried to. I know I walked around a lot to help with the pain and walked up and down the stairs. That seemed to help, keep moving, and keep upright. And do things to take my mind off what was happening.

There was a lot of activity upstairs and lots of running up and down stairs by the midwives and my partner as they set things up. The gas and air, resuscitation equipment, etc. As we didn't make it to B&Q we didn't have the plastic sheeting. So, we had to make do with a roll of bubble wrap!! It was 6 foot long and it was unrolled along the bed and on the floor.

I sat on the downstairs toilet and had a show, the mucus discharge down below. Sharon called me and asked if I was ok and I told her. She said it was best for me to come upstairs now. She said if I left it any longer I wouldn't be able to get up there!

I walked upstairs with no problems and squatted on the floor, leaning on the bed. The bubble wrap had been covered with towels but you could still hear the popping sound. It would have been funny if I wasn't in so much pain! I was offered gas and air and had a few puffs of it but it was too late by then for it to have any real effect. I didn't really need it, my body was coping well with the pain and I wasn't panicking. I felt safe.

In our birth plan we wanted my partner to deliver his own child, if possible. He said he had delivered sheep before so this would be no different! Eleanor handed him a pair of gloves to put on but they were too small. He struggled. I struggled. I could feel the baby coming and told him to just get them on! He forced his hands into the gloves, just in time to catch his baby. His daughter.

I remember it being very hot but being told to put the heating on as the baby would need to be kept warm. I was sweating as I was so hot and Sharon gave me her hair band as she could see my hair sticking to my face.
My partner saw that she was a girl first and he cut the cord.

After I had passed the placenta naturally I sat up on the bed on bubble wrap and held our daughter to my breast. She had a hot water bottle as well as having the heating on!

Very soon after that both of the grandmothers arrived with McDonald's and we all tucked in, while I made some phone calls. Fiona's elder brother came home early from work and met her when she was an hour old.

Fiona was born at 36 weeks weighing 5lb 10oz. I was 41 and a half.

We defied all odds to have Fiona and have since had 2 more miscarriages and another baby, Bradley was born when 2 weeks before my 44th birthday.

80 comments:

  1. Please comment, it can be totally random. The winner will not be chosen because of what they say, names will be put into a hat.
    So, this is a raffle. The winner will win a Miacup Menstrual Cup - http://www.femininewear.co.uk/miacup-menstrual-p-388.html
    Good luck and I hope you enjoy reading.
    Teresa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, she is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha the bubble wrap bit cracked me up. The story was really interesting! I'm glad to hear you managed to have two more kids after sterilisation - I had no idea it was somewhat reversible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab inspirational story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story!
    - Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. bubble wrap!! ha! wonderful story :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting birth story. Im sure if you had already been organized, you would have had to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a beautiful story. I hope to be able to watch a birth in person someday, as I don't plan on having any children. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful birth story!! Thank you so much for sharing! How beautiful! You will always look at bubble wrap fondly. As we all do as kids, but you shared that joy with your daughter in her first moments. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fantastic! thanks for sharing such a beautiful thing with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing story! A joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to read home birth stories, even though I didn't get to have mine in the end (midwife shortage). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing, that was an amazing story! What a great picture of a precious moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes what a beautiful birth story. With all the horror birth stories that float around it is always refreshing to read ones such as yours. Thank you for sharing and wishing you all the the very best

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous story!!
    I am envious, as although I had a VBAC I would dearly have loved a home birth but now that I'm 44 I fear we will never be ready to have another one now :/
    Now, I get to suport others to have such an empowering birth and it's amazing to see the power of woman!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW what an amazing story. Very empowering indeed.
    I'm still giggling at the mcdonalds dinner though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always so great when I hear of a woman who was able to follow their birth plan - well done Teresa!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was so precious...my eyes got all watery. Apparently I'm a goof cause I accidentally deleted my post so I have to make a new one. It's things like that that make me wish I wasn't sterilized. Though I'm sure for health reasons it's a good thing I stopped at 2. What a blessing you must have. Of course all children are

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great story, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful story! Thanks so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aw, what a cutie. It's great that everything went the way it was planned!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay! I get to enter one! Good luck me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love when miracles happen! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aww, what a little miracle baby!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a great birth story. I like the part about the bubble wrap.

    Annette R.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous home birth story - Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Another wonderful homebirth story to keep me positive! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such a touching story!

    ReplyDelete
  30. it's amazing how different everyone's birth stories can be. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. great story!

    _Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Loved the bubble wrap bit!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love hearing about home births and I envy the seeming calm of them. Our miracle son was delivered via c-section because he was too big to even fit in the birth canal and even the doctors had a hard time getting him out. The only thing I remember from the surgery ( and I do mean surgery, it felt nothing like what a delivery should!) was having four different sets of hands pushing on my stomach trying to get him out... Congratulations on a successful and memorable home delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for sharing. I loved the bubble wrap part of the story. *POP! POP! POP!*

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely story. The bubble wrap made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  36. A beautiful story :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for sharing such an important moment in your life! That's really moving. Warm kisses to you and your miracle baby. And congratulations to your partner! He coped well and shared everything. I'm sure he's very proud of you and your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I loved your birth story! My 3 (and last) child was a home water birth baby... I know that is the best way to have a baby now... The 1st and 2nd babies were hospital births with a ton of unnecessary interventions.

    I am glad that you have come to terms with your miscarriages... It took me some time to get there. I have had 2 and one burst ectopic. It is something a mother never forgets.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lovely story! If I ever have a baby, I want to do it at home, too. That's so great that you were able to cope fairly easily with the pain and all that. I'm sure any baby I have will be early as well, seeing as I was 9 weeks early!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Most mothers wrap their child in cotton wool..........not bubble wrap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow how lovely, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I actually find home birthing kinda scary. But then again, the whole idea of child birth still scares me. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  43. 4 years late but congratulations!! amazing that you defeated such odds :-)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I loved this story the first time I read it, and this time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm going to read this as soon as I get back from yoga! :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. errrr this is a comment for the giveaway so if this is the worng place to put it im sorry lol. anyway, the story was beautiful, Fiona seriously was a miracle baby,and no offense meant here but you were soooo lucky to have a baby at that age because fertility declines with age :) congrats, even though it was 4 years ago haha

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a moving story! I'd love to try a home birth at some point, but I'm sure I would be too chicken. I didn't know the heating had to be on, either. You were very brave to go out and shopping while contracting, unbelievably so!!

    -Megan Burgess or Wildcatmeg at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  48. That was a great story. :) I'm glad everything turned out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Amazing story! People like you and this story give me hope that one day I will be able to defy the odds and have a HBAC.

    ReplyDelete
  50. such a lovely story! My princess was born at 37weeks @5lb 9oz little brother for her 22 months later nearly 4 years for me as well - seems like a life time ago in 1 way but has also flown by

    ReplyDelete
  51. Had to smile at the bubble wrap popping :o) Lovely birth story!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love good birth stories! Each one is so unique and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  53. lovely story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Awwww, such a lovely birth story.
    Especially liked the bubble wrap!
    Much love,
    Pamela Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  55. Thank you for sharing Fiona's home birth story!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I love a good birth story!! Thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  57. What a story! I love ready other ladies birth stories. I have 3 very different ones. Amazing - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  58. I can't wait to have a birth story!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Wonderful Story!!! I hope your daughter still likes bubble wrap ;o)

    Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  60. The bubble wrapped bad made me laugh, such a great idea! I have to admit that the whole "having a baby" thing scares me to bits... But I always love to read good experiences like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Such a sweet story :-)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  62. As someone who sees high-risk hospital births all the time, this story has really made me want to get out into the community and see some lovely homebirths. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Thank you for sharing! A wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  64. That's awesome :) congratulations xx

    ReplyDelete
  65. 76 comments, Thank you. I haven't read them all but I will soon. I am about to draw a winner for the Miacup x

    ReplyDelete
  66. That is so awesome. I've been looking at home birth stories, and it's just WIN. Also, bubble wrap? Inspired, and something cool to talk about when your daughter's older.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Amber you are a winner...please email me your contact details - info@femininewear.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
  68. Does anyone know who Amber is?? She won but when I click on her blog it's private....

    ReplyDelete